Upgrading to Windows 10

Home Forums Windows OS Upgrading to Windows 10

This topic contains 6 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Robert Mitchell 1 year, 10 months ago.

• Author

Ron Miller
    Participant

Has everyone except me “upgraded” to Windows 10? I think that I’m about to. Any advice, warnings? Any page I should go to to learn how to do it right? Going from W7 Home Premium.

Marc Cohen
    Participant

I keep one machine running Windows 7, refusing to let it upgrade, because Office 2003 and several other programs won’t work on Win 8 and up. Make sure your software will be OK with the new operating system or be prepared to upgrade that too.

–Marc

Robert Mitchell
      Participant

Regarding my software on machine, everything I have works, but use libre office for MS office. I have and older version 2007 that I originally won in a raffle several years ago. I have since passed it on to John Sleeman I remember and haven’t tested that on Windows 10.

Robert

John Buck
    Participant

Well, looky here —
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-windows_install/a-look-at-running-older-versions-of-microsoft/6faf72ea-254a-4c8e-9982-2c36cdb1936c
    “With a volume of questions on the Windows 10 Reservation forum asking whether their Office 2000, 2003 or XP version is compatible; I decided to do so some test for users who would like to know. So, I went in the garage and looked for those exact copies to try them out on Windows 10.
    Core apps such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access and Publisher work just fine on Windows 10. By the way, I used Windows 10 64 bit, so users won’t have to worry about compatibility issues with this architecture. It remains to be seen if future updates to Windows might break the suite. I will say, I used the RTM versions of each suite. So, I would recommend users of these versions make sure the latest Service Packs, updates and security updates are applied.”

Found via [what office versions work on Windows 10] — https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=what+office+versions+work+on+Windows+10&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest&gws_rd=ssl

— jb

Jim Marshall
    Participant

My question is should I change to windows 10? I have a Hank computer that is only about a year and a half old and is running Windows 7 pro and works just fine. I am very happy with it as it is.

Jim Marshall

Brad Youngman
    Participant

Hi Jim Marsh, John Buck and you Spaugers,

I note that I cannot make Thunderbird run on Windows 10. I quit using Thunderbird sometime ago because the schedule add-on would not show several persons data on one schedule. Google Gmail would and is OK. Mail for Windows 10 is completely new to me and “strange.” I’m trying it out for the first time, here.

If you want to keep Thunderbird, stay on Windows 7. Windows 7 is a great operating system and I see no reason to abandon it, not even for the free Windows 10 offer. Some day W7 will die, and that is a good time to figure out what you want to do. But maybe in the near future Thunderbird will work on Windows 10. But how would you find out? By Googling the problem every so often.

I’m sure there are other programs similar problems.

I’m recommending to my wife Cissie that she not move from 7 to 10. She uses Thunderbird and other archaic software and would really not want to shift to something else. And why should she?

I have Windows 10 running on both a desktop and a laptop. I find it OK when “Classic Shell” is installed (and don’t want to run Thunderbird). Classic shell makes Windows 10 look something like Windows 7. I use Office 2016 (rented, and it updates itself). 2016 is much different from Office 2003, so it too is a puzzle to use. LibreOffice is somewhat nicer. And Linux Mint runs fine on older machines (and really well on new ones!)

I like Linux Mint and the Chrome operating systems, both not compatible with Windows, and not so “strange.”

Isn’t the computer world wonderful?

Brad Youngman

Ron Alves
      Participant

Hello folks,

Another point of view: I am running Win 7 on 3 computers and Win 10 on my laptop. I did run Win 10 on another computer but went back to Win 7 because I like it better. In both experiences, Thunderbird is A ok with Win 10. Some other old applications like Office 2003 were ok with Win 10.

Good luck on sorting it out, Brad! If you do decide to go back to Win 7, I hope you have a good back up from the pre-Win 10 era, or you revert in less than 30 days. I tried to revert in 28 days but I was told that the old Win 7 data file had been deleted. So I had to painfully do a fresh install of Win 7 and load all of the apps, then restore the data files from a backup image.

Ron Alves

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.